Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hello, everyone:

This is my first experience at blogging, so please bear with me. I plan to have two blog sites: one for my personal perspectives on life and the world, and one for my academic interests, which are United States history with a specialty in the twentieth century, and issues of race and civil rights in the USA, but in a global context. I shall furnish the second blog address presently.

I turned 68 on October 11, and have seen many profound changes in my life, some deeply inspiring, others deeply troubling and discouraging. I believe that in a democratic society, life would be boring if everyone held the same opinions, so I encourage responses, even from those who disagree with me profoundly. While I cannot guarantee answers to all message, I shall try as long as the volume of email is not too great.

So right now, Happy New Year in these exciting and troubling times.

Alonzo Smith

3 comments:

  1. Alonzo, I am playing follow the leader. I established MY blog without knowing what I was doing. It took me a long time to figure out how to post a comment to yours. I haven't even done any kind of a profile yet.

    A strong conviction: we, as Americans, or just citizens of the world, are indeed fortunate to have a person such as Barack Obama as President, irregardless of race. His race though has tremendous potential for good both at home and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote my take on post-Inauguration politics, but wasn't smart enough to post it. If this goes through, I'll rewrite it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wish I knew f-word what I'm doing/supposed to be doing. I remarked that McCain and heavens-to-betsy, even William Bennett, both made favorable comments today. My faith is still on the utter perseverance of Barack Obama. There will continue to be flack, sniping from both Right and Left.

    ReplyDelete